Decision Day



 

Experimenting with InDesign and Premier Pro were very enlightening experiences which gave me insight into which program I was most comfortable using for my project. 


 Between the two programs, InDesign was the most complicated and confusing for me. I struggled to understand and grasp the directions on how to create a magazine. I struggled to simply place an image onto the program, which would certainly reflect my performance when the set-up gets more complicated. I was having difficulty understanding how to use the man functions of the program, which led me to frustration. While InDesign is remarkably interesting and useful, I do not think I have skills needed to successfully create a magazine. I determined that using this program would most likely lead to more difficulty than success for my skill set.  


I found more success when using Premier Pro. When I was younger, I often put together videos into “movies” for my enjoyment. This leads me to believe that I will be more motivated and successful when making a movie on this program. I was able to pick up certain function very quickly in the short time that I experimented with this program including the splicing and transitions. Having a general understanding of how to use the program certainly inspired me to want to begin creating a movie on the program. I feel as though I will more easily be able to use a film rather than a magazine which I have had more trouble with. 


The article, “Our Place in the Universe: The Importance of Story and Storytelling in the Classroom” gave me more insight on what this project will mean (Cherry 2). The article describes the importance of storytelling in our world and references stories going back to the beginning of time. Brining storytelling into our final project is an important factor to consider. After some thought, I have determined that I will better be able to convey the story that I am trying to tell through film rather than a magazine based off my current skill sets.  


The article also offers important insight into the “Four C’s” of present-day learning. These include critical thinking, communication, collaboration, and creativity. These four components have been proven to maintain people's attention in our present-day society in which attention spans are very shortI will keep these four important and useful skills in mind when creating my movie. 


    Another article, “Survival of the fittest: four editors on the future of literary magazines” describes current events that also have played a role in my decision to use Premier Pro software and create a movie rather than a magazine. The authors describe that the demand for magazines in the 21st century have gone down significantly. People are developing increasingly short attention spans which is leading to fewer people having the time to read these magazines. Thinking years in the future, I feel as though learning how to create a film will be more useful than creating a magazine, which is a slowly dwindling business. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Magazine Cover Review